It was decided to initiate work on these activities by cleaning the garden near Ibblur lake on one of the Saturday, 21-Feb-09 in the morning hours. BIRWA members had their initial meetings to chalk out the plan and each volunteer agreed to share load of each other. We listed our objectives and prepared detailed guidelines to have this drive organized in well manner. We all did some publicity, like, communication through yahoogroups, pasting posters in each block, words of mouth etc in our apartments.
Two major objectives were decided and communicated:
- Clean the garden area of all the trash. Accumulate the trash in the gunny bags and leave it at designated dumping place.
- Remove Congress Grass (Parthenium) weed after watering them to loosen the roots. Collect the weeds in bags in dumping places.
- Assemble at the Main Entrance of Garden at 9.00 AM
- Entire area was divided into 3 zones. Water body EXCLUDED. Each zone will have one “dumping post” where all collected waste could be placed for eventual clearance.
- Children should work in groups or with their parents, under close supervision.
- Shore line will be cleaned only by adults.
- Volunteers and school children participating are requested to bring along Drinking water in bottles, Gloves, Picking equipment like bamboo sticks and rakes, Large Plastic bags with tie string, A sturdy bucket that can be easily carried when filled and a mug (to be carried back by their owners)
- Recommended wear: shoes, cap and a spirit of can-do.
- Removal of Congress Grass (Parthenium) : This is one of the ten worst weeds in world and cause of respiratory problems. To remove the Congress Grass – volunteers will fetch water in the bucket from a water tanker and soak the roots of plant. After few minutes pull out the plant from its roots by gently tugging at the base until it is free.
- Other precaution. Before picking up trash from heavy vegetation – poke the area with stick to ensure it is safe to access.
- Do not panic in case of snakes as we have arranged for snake-catcher
Following arrangements were accomplished by volunteers:
- Snake catcher as few residents feared that sudden appearance of them might create panic.
- Drinking water
- Water tank to loosen the roots of congress grass (Parthenium)
- Empty truck to take away the trash
- Card boards with directions and instructions, like Pls keep trash here etc
- About 150 Gloves to maintain hygiene and keep one away from allergies
- Equipments, like, bamboo sticks, rakes, khurpis etc
- Large gunny bags to store the trash
- Few buckets, mugs to pour water on congress grass
- Few gardeners who can help/guide other volunteers